The Cleveland Browns have arguably made more exciting moves than any other NFL team since the start of the offseason, but their aggressive approach may not be enough to convince one of the best players in franchise history to keep playing.
As Mark Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com notes, the Browns pushed hard to sign Nate Solder before the former New England Patriots offensive tackle agreed to a four-year, $60 million deal with the New York Giants. With Thomas expected to announce on Wednesday whether he will play in 2018, Cleveland’s pursuit of Solder is a strong indication as to which way the All-Pro is leaning.
The Browns appear committed to revamping their roster now that a new football operations department is in place, and Thomas recently said he is excited by all the moves being made. However, the 33-year-old saw his incredible iron man streak of 10,363 consecutive snaps played snapped last year when he tore his triceps muscle, and he said his retirement decision will be based solely on his health.
If Thomas does decide to retire, he will have no trouble finding work as a broadcaster or NFL analyst. The Browns, on the other hand, may have some trouble replacing him on their offensive line.